“Tachyon Publications has attained a nigh-legendary stature as one of the leaders and innovators
in the modern domain of genre-centric small-presses.”—Locus
Founded in 1995, Tachyon Publications LLC is a publisher of smart science fiction, fantasy, and horror, as well as mysteries, memoirs, young adult, and literary fiction. We champion the creative storytelling of authors who inspire us through intelligent prose and imaginative worlds. Our titles are consistently unique, thought-provoking, and entertaining.
Tachyon’s publishing program features:
- A bestselling series of novellas by Brandon Sanderson, Daryl Gregory, Nancy Kress, Bruce Sterling, and Peter Watts
- Bold new fiction from rising stars such as Lavie Tidhar and Rose Lemberg
- Canon-defying anthologies by high-profile editors including Ellen Datlow, Ann and Jeff VanderMeer, and John Joseph Adams
- Acclaimed short-fiction collections, including from Peter S. Beagle, Jane Yolen, Nalo Hopkinson, and Hannu Rajaniemi
- Out-of-print classics such as The Forgotten Beasts of Eld by Patricia A. McKillip and Her Smoke Rose Up Foreverby James Tiptree, Jr.
Tachyon titles have received the Nebula, Hugo, World Fantasy, Sturgeon, Mythopoeic, Locus, Grand Prix de l’Imaginaire, Endeavor, Neukom, Sidewise, and Philip K. Dick awards.
Our strong commitment to marketing and publicity includes a team of publicists, a very active social media presence, coverage in major news and genre outlets, and ongoing author appearances and signings at bookstores, trade shows, and genre conventions.
Tachyon’s line is distributed internationally by Baker & Taylor Publisher Services; our titles can be ordered through all major distribution channels.
“Jacob Weisman and his team at Tachyon are one of
the most consistently excellent fantasy publishers on the market.”
“One of the most exhilarating and intellectually probing small presses.”
—Time Out Chicago
“Tachyon [is] known for their eclectic published works and always choose quality over quantity.”
—SF Book Reviews
“Tachyon’s catalog is impressive and a no-fail reading list for speculative fiction fans.”
Find out more about Tachyon Publications:
- Read our Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
- Meet our Staff
- Answer your questions about our Submissions guidelines
- Discover the Awards our publications have won
- Check out the Links to some of our favorite places
What’s a Tachyon?
A tachyon (tack-ee-on; from the Greek tachus, meaning “speedy”) is a hypothetical elementary subatomic particle that is capable of exceeding the speed of light. Tachyons would violate causality if they were proven to exist, because they could be sent to the past, creating a time paradox (like on every other episode of Star Trek).
This is how we meet our deadlines here at Tachyon—first we miss them, and then we go back and meet them. Tachyons actually travel faster when they are losing energy and slow down when they are gaining energy, which is kind of a metaphor for the publishing industry (we try not to think about that).