“For newcomers and fans of the genre, this solid collection offers a strong sampler of short fiction by 17 masters and rising stars of epic fantasy, including Ursula K. Le Guin, Paolo Bacigalupi, N. K. Jemsin, Patrick Rothfuss, and Brandon Sanderson. An excellent showcase of epic fantasy at its best.”
There is a sickness in the land. Prophets tell of the fall of empires, the rise of champions. Great beasts stir in vaults beneath the hills, beneath the waves. Armies mass. Gods walk. The world will be torn asunder.
Epic fantasy is storytelling at its biggest and best. From the creation myths and quest sagas of ancient times to the mega-popular fantasy novels of today, these are the stories that express our greatest hopes and fears, that create worlds so rich we long to return to them again and again, and that inspire us with their timeless values of courage and friendship in the face of ultimate evil—tales that transport us to the most ancient realms and show us the most noble sacrifices, the most astonishing wonders.
“At over 600 pages, EPIC: LEGENDS OF FANTASY will definitely get you your money’s worth, and the seventeen stories inside will help satisfy your epic fantasy cravings, or possibly leave you wanting more.”
Now acclaimed editor John Joseph Adams (Wastelands, The Living Dead) brings you seventeen tales by today’s leading authors of epic fantasy, including George R. R. Martin (A Song of Ice and Fire), Ursula K. Le Guin (Earthsea), Robin Hobb (Realms of Elderlings), Kate Elliott (Crown of Stars), Tad Williams (Of Memory, Sorrow & Thorn), Patrick Rothfuss (The Kingkiller Chronicle), and more.
Return again to lands you’ve loved or visit magical new worlds. Victory against the coming darkness is never certain, but one thing’s for sure—your adventure will be epic.
TABLE OF CONTENTS
- Foreword by Brent Weeks
- “Homecoming” by Robin Hobb
- “The Word of Unbinding” by Ursula K. Le Guin
- “The Burning Man” by Tad Williams
- “As the Wheel Turns” by Aliette de Bodard
- “The Alchemist” by Paolo Bacigalupi
- “Sandmagic” by Orson Scott Card
- “The Road to Levinshir” by Patrick Rothfuss
- “Rysn” by Brandon Sanderson
- “While the Gods Laugh” by Michael Moorcock
- “Mother of All Russiya” by Melanie Rawn
- “Riding the Shore of the River of Death” by Kate Elliott
- “The Bound Man” by Mary Robinette Kowal
- “The Narcomancer” by N. K. Jemisin
- “Strife Lingers in Memory” by Carrie Vaughn
- “The Mad Apprentice” by Trudi Canavan
- “Otherling” by Juliet Marillier
- “The Mystery Knight” by George R. R. Martin
For more info about EPIC: LEGENDS OF FANTASY, visit the Tachyon page.
Cover by John Coulthart