Get a pair of extraordinary books from award winners Lauren Beukes and Jo Walton for only $1.99 each!
“Whether they’re set in modern-day Johannesburg or on a planet circling a distant star, these powerful, beautifully written stories are always about today and the darkness of the human soul.”
A Punk Lolita fighter-pilot rescues Tokyo from a marauding art installation. A young architect’s life is derailed by an inquisitive girl who happens to be a ghost. Unwitting recruits discover biohazardous plants on an inhospitable planet. Loyalty to a favorite product can be addictive when it gets under your skin.
In her edgy and satiric debut collection, award-winning South African author Lauren Beukes (The Shining Girls) never holds back. Ranging from Johannesburg to outer space, Beukes is a fierce and captivating presence in the literary landscape.
- A Book Riot 7 New Collections of Short fiction for SFF lovers|
- A Book Riot Wonderful Book of 2016
- A Barnes & Noble Blog Best Science Fiction & Fantasy Collections and Anthologies of 2016
- 2016 Locus Recommended Reading List
“Starlings isn’t really a short-story collection. It’s something better: a written showreel, illustrating yet again that [Walton’s] imagination stretches to the stars (or the starlings), and that she’s endlessly inventive in finding new methods to express it.”
An intimate first flight of short fiction from award-winning novelist Jo Walton (Among Others, The King’s Peace, Necessity).
An ancient coin cyber-spies on lovers and thieves. The magic mirror sees all but can do nothing. A cloned savior solves a fanatically-inspired murder. Three Irish siblings thieve treasures with bad poetry and the aid of the Queen of Cats.
With these captivating initial glimpses into her storytelling psyche, Jo Walton shines through subtle myths and reinvented realities. Through eclectic stories, subtle vignettes, inspired poetry, and more, Walton soars with humans, machines, and magic—rising from the every day into the universe itself.
- 2019 Locus Finalist
- A Verge Sci-Fi and Fantasy Book You’ll Want to Read in January
- A Chicago Tribune New Short Story Collection Worth Reading
- A Barnes & Noble Best Science Fiction & Fantasy Book of January 2018
- An Unbound Worlds Best Sci-Fi and Fantasy Book of February 2018
- B&N Favorite Science Fiction and Fantasy Books of 2018
- Locus Recommended Reading List
For more information about SLIPPING: STORIES, ESSAYS, & OTHER WRITING, visit the Tachyon page.
For more info on STARLINGS, visit the Tachyon page.
Cover design by Elizabeth Story