With the help of fine folks over at GOODREADS in celebration of its release, we’re giving away a *signed* copy of the new anthology THE NEW VOICES OF FANTASY, edited by the legendary Peter S. Beagle and acclaimed Jacob Weisman.
For full details, visit GOODREADS.
[STARRED REVIEW] A companion piece of sorts to Beagle’s critically acclaimed anthology, The Secret History of Fantasy (2010)—a collection of stories that transcended the conventions and clichés of contemporary fantasy—Beagle and Weisman’s latest contains 19 comparable stories from some of the genre’s most innovative and exciting new voices.
Edited by Peter S. Beagle and Jacob Weisman
[STARRED REVIEW] Fantasy legend Beagle and Tachyon publisher Weisman have provided a valuable snapshot of SF/F’s newest generation of writers.
Eugene Fisher, Brooke Bolander, Amal El-Mohtar, Maria Dahvana Headley, Max Gladstone, Ben Loory, Carmen Maria Machado, Usman T. Malik, Sarah Pinsker, Hannu Rajaniemi, Adam Ehrlich Sachs, Sofia Samatar, Kelly Sandoval, Chris Tarry, A. C. Wise, Alyssa Wong, JY Yang, E. Lily Yu
What would you do if a tornado wanted you to be its Valentine? Or if a haunted spacesuit banged on your door? When is the ideal time to turn into a tiger? Would you post a supernatural portal on Craigslist?
In these nineteen stories, the enfants terribles of fantasy have entered the building—a love-starved, ambulatory skyscraper. The New Voices of Fantasytethers some of the fastest-rising talents of the last five years. Their tales were hand-picked by the legendary Peter S. Beagle (THE LAST UNICORN) and genre expert Jacob Weisman (THE TREASURY OF THE FANTASTIC).
So go ahead, join the Communist revolution of the honeybees. The new kids got your back.
[STARRED REVIEW] This anthology represents some of the most exciting and interesting work in the fantasy field today, and anyone interested in the genre should read it immediately.
- “Hungry Daughters of Starving Mothers” by Alyssa Wong
- “Selkie Stories are for Losers” by Sofia Samatar
- “Tornado’s Siren” by Brooke Bolander
- “Left the Century to Sit Unmoved” by Sarah Pinsker
- “A Kiss with Teeth” by Max Gladstone
- “Jackalope Wives” by Ursula Vernon
- “The Cartographer Wasps and Anarchist Bees” by E. Lily Yu
- “The Practical Witch’s Guide to Acquiring Real Estate” by A. C. Wise
- “The Tallest Doll in New York City” by Maria Dahvana Headley
- “The Haunting of Apollo A7LB” by Hannu Rajaniemi
- “Here Be Dragons” by Chris Tarry
- “The One They Took Before” by Kelly Sandoval
- “Tiger Baby” by JY Yang
- “The Duck” by Ben Loory
- “Wing” by Amal El-Mohtar
- “The Philosophers” by Adam Ehrlich Sachs
- “My Time Among the Bridge Blowers” by Eugene Fischer
- “The Husband Stitch” by Carmen Maria Machado
- “The Pauper Prince and the Eucalyptus Jinn” by Usman T. Malik
“THE NEW VOICES OF FANTASY is a fabulous collection of vivid, surprising, and remarkable stories. Highly recommended.”
—Kate Elliott, author of Poisoned Blade and The Very Best of Kate Elliott
For more info about THE NEW VOICES OF FANTASY, visit the Tachyon page.
Cover art by Camilla André
Cover design by Elizabeth Story