Booksellers and librarians get PETER WATTS IS AN ANGRY SENTIENT TUMOR, a collection unpredictable essays and revenge fantasies from the award-winning Watts
“A brilliant bastard.” —Cory Doctorow
“Watts, undoubtedly, is a genius.” ―Medium
“Comfort, of course, is the last thing that Watts wants to give.” —New York Review of Science Fiction
Which of the following is true?
- Peter Watts is banned from the U.S.
- Watts almost died from flesh-eating bacteria.
- A schizophrenic man living in Watts’s backyard almost set the house on fire.
- Watts was raised by Baptists who really sucked at giving presents.
- Peter Watts said to read this book. Or else.
In these unpredictable essays and revenge fantasies, Peter Watts — Hugo Award-winning author, former marine biologist, and angry sentient tumor — is the savage dystopian optimist whom you can’t look away from. Even when you probably should.
TABLE OF CONTENTS
- Everything I Needed to Know About Christmas I Learned From My Grandma
- We Need to Talk About Kevin
- Dress Rehearsal
- Extraordinary Claims
- Why I Suck
- The Black Knight. In Memoriam
- Viva Zika!
- Zounds, Gadzooks, and Fucking Sisyphus
- 10 Actually, You Can Keep a Good Man Down…
- Shooting Back
- HemiHive, in Hiding
- The Dudette With the Clitoris, and Other Thoughts on Star Trek Beyond
- The Life Sausage
- No Brainer
- The Yogurt Revolution
- A Ray of Sunshine
- The Least Unlucky Bastard
- No pictures. Only Words
- Prometheus: The Men Behind the Mask
- Motherhood Issues
- The Halting Problem
- Chamber of Horrors
- The Best-Case Apocalypse
- Nazis and Skin Cream
- Ass Backwards
- Dr. Fox and the Borg Collective
- And Another Thing (The Thing,2011)
- Oprah’s X-Men: Thoughts on “Logan”
- Cambridge Analytica and the Other Turing Test
- Life in the FAST Lane
- Smashing the Lid Off Pandora’s Box
- The Split-brain Universe
- The Limits of Reason
- Changing Our Minds: “Story of Your Life” in Print and on Screen
- The God-Shaped Hole
- Dumb Adult
- In Praise of War Crimes
- The Last of Us, The Weakest Link
- Martin Luther King and the Vampire Rights League
- Black & White
- Gods and Gamma
- “PyrE. Make them tell you what it is”
- Understanding Sarah Palin: Or, God Is In The Wattles
- The Overweening Overentitlement of the Happy-Enders
- The Cylon Solution
- The Physics of Hope
- A Renaissance of Analog Antiquity
- Pearls Before Cows: Thoughts on Blade Runner 2049
- Lizards in the Sink with David
For more info about PETER WATTS IS AN ANGRY SENTIENT TUMOR, visit the Tachyon page.
Cover design by Elizabeth Story