Get Lavie Tidhar’s brilliant CENTRAL STATION for only $1.99!
CENTRAL STATION, Lavie Tidhar’s fascinating glimpse of the future, is a Kindle Daily Deal for Friday April 21.
For today only, the ebook is available for just $1.99!
- An NPR Best Book of 2016
- A Tor.com Best Book of 2016
- An NPR Summer Reading Choice
- A 10 Best Sci-Fi and Fantasy Book of 2016 So Far (Flavorwire – June)
- A May 2016 My Bookish Ways Must Read in Science Fiction, Fantasy, and Horror
- A Kirkus Science Fiction, Fantasy, & Horror Books You’ll Want to Read in May
- An io9 May Science Fiction, Fantasy, and Horror Book That Will Blow Your Mind
- An Amazon Featured Best Science Fiction & Fantasy Book of May
- A Publishers Weekly Staff Pick
- A Bookskill Recommended Book
- An SF Bluestocking Best of 2016
- A Kirkus 2016 Best Science Fiction and Fantasy pick
- A Tor.com Five Mosaic Novels You Should Read
- Barnes and Noble Best Science Fiction and Fantasy of 2016
- A Guardian Best SF & Fantasy Book of 2016
- Featured review on the Reading Envy podcast
- Featured Interview in the Jewish Telegraph
[STAR] “World Fantasy Award–winner Tidhar (A Man Lies Dreaming) magnificently blends literary and speculative elements in this streetwise mosaic novel set under the towering titular spaceport. In a future border town formed between Israeli Tel Aviv and Arab Jaffa, cyborg ex-soldiers deliver illicit drugs for psychic vampires, and robot priests give sermons and conduct circumcisions. The Chong family struggles to save patriarch Vlad, lost in the inescapable memory stream they all share, thanks to his father’s hack of the Conversation, the collective unconscious. New children, born from back-alley genetic engineering, begin to experience actual and virtual reality simultaneously. Family and faith bring them all back and sustain them. Tidhar gleefully mixes classic SF concepts with prose styles and concepts that recall the best of world literature. The byways of Central Station ring with dusty life, like the bruising, bustling Cairo streets depicted by Naguib Mahfouz. Characters wrestle with problems of identity forged under systems of oppression, much as displaced Easterners and Westerners do in the novels of Orhan Pamuk. And yet this is unmistakably SF. Readers of all persuasions will be entranced.”
—Publishers Weekly, starred review
[STAR] “… a fascinating future glimpsed through the lens of a tight-knit community. Verdict: Tidhar (A Man Lies Dreaming; The Violent Century) changes genres with every outing, but his astounding talents guarantee something new and compelling no matter the story he tells.”
—Library Journal, starred review
“It is just this side of a masterpiece — short, restrained, lush — and the truest joy of it is in the way Tidhar scatters brilliant ideas like pennies on the sidewalk.”
“A marvellous, multi-faceted story that flows gently from one character to another like an intimate private tour of Tel Aviv and the spaceport at its centre.”
“A fantastic mosaic novel.”
—New York Review of Science Fiction
For more info about CENTRAL STATION, visit the Tachyon page.
Cover and image by Sarah Anne Langton