The beloved Peter S. Beagle returns to editing (alongside Jacob Weisman, editor of the acclaimed INVADERS: 22 TALES FROM THE OUTER LIMITS OF LITERATURE) with THE NEW FANTASY. Adventurous readers ready for the next big thing: here is the cutting-edge of fantasy. Get ready for political, social, and diverse views of the world—or worlds, as the case may be.
This vibrant anthology presents cutting-edge new fantasy to adventurous readers ready for the next big thing. The up-and-coming authors in The New Fantasy have been primarily published in the last five years—many of them have or are about to put out collections and novels for the first time: Usman T. Malik, Sofia Samatar, Eugene Fischer, Ben Loory, Maria Dahvana Headley, Ursula Vernon, Max Gladstone, and many more. Their new take on fantasy combines their personal, societal, and diverse views of the world—or worlds, as the case may be.
Table of Contents
- “Hungry Daughters of Starving Mothers” by Alyssa Wong
- “Selkie Stories are for Losers” by Sofia Samatar
- “Tornado’s Siren” by Brooke Bolander
- “Left the Century to Sit Unmoved” by Sarah Pinsker
- “A Kiss with Teeth” by Max Gladstone
- “Jackalope Wives” by Ursula Vernon
- “The Cartographer Wasps and Anarchist Bees” by E. Lilly Yu
- “The Practical Witch’s Guide to Acquiring Real Estate” by A. C. Wise
- “The Tallest Doll in New York City” by Maria Dahvana Headley
- “The Haunting of Apollo A7LB” by Hannu Rajaniemi
- “Here Be Dragons” by Chris Tarry
- “The One They Took Before” by Kelly Sandoval
- “Tiger Baby” by JY Yang
- “The Duck” by Ben Loory
- “Wing” by Amal El-Mohtar
- “The Philosophers” by Adam Ehrlich Sachs
- “My Time Among the Bridge Blowers” by Eugene Fischer
- “The Husband Stitch” by Carmen Maria Machado
- “The Pauper Prince and the Eucalyptus Jinn” by Usman T. Malik
THE NEW FANTASY conjures up this July.
For more info about THE NEW FANTASY, visit the Tachyon page.
Cover art “The Tree Child” copyright © 2011 by Camilla André
Cover design by Elizabeth Story